Back End Developer
Job title: Back End Developer
Company: Charles River Laboratories
Job description: For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Back End Developer for our Digital Team. This is a remote position with a preference that the candidate be located anywhere within the U.S, Canada or the U.K.
The Back End developer is responsible for the system to work behind the scenes. Their role is to integrate the application with all required systems and services and provide clean and easy to use API for the frontend part of the system. Although their work is usually hidden from the user they bear the full responsibility for the application functionality, performance and scalability. They know how to write clean modern APIs, integrate with legacy systems and work with databases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop the business logic and backend systems of the product.
- Work closely with frontend developers to design and develop functional, performing and complete APIs.
- Decipher existing companies’ software systems and be able to hook in application to applicable data sources.
- Write both unit and integration tests and develop automation tools for daily tasks.
- Develop high quality, well documented, and efficient code.
- Challenge ideas and opinions to avoid pitfalls and inefficient solutions
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Back End Developer:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or Engineering preferred
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Experience as a backend developer in common languages and frameworks (Java Spring Boot, NodeJS, etc.), functional programming in Scala.
- Deep knowledge of Object-Oriented programing and engineering principles like SOLID.
- Significant experience writing and utilizing autonomous services oriented RESTful API services and performance tuning large scale apps.
- Experience with database systems, with knowledge of SQL and NoSQL stores (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Couchbase, etc.)
- Ability to write effective unit, integration, and API tests.
- Nice to have knowledge of immutable infrastructure, infrastructure automation and provisioning tools.
- Experience as a Developer on a cross-functional agile team preferred.
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 350 patents and 80 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Location: Wilmington, MA
Job date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 08:58:25 GMT
Apply for the job now!